Many Recruitment Consultants, Managers and Directors remain in complete denial about the continued and accelerating use of mobile in recruitment.
Whether you want to increase applications, build brand awareness, capture more data or simply just keep up to date with how recruitment methods are evolving, it's actually easier than you think to be "mobile friendly" in your approach to recruitment.
Let's start by debunking a few myths. Many "experts" like to bamboozle you with facts, graphs and complicated terms (much like SEO experts) but at base level all mobile recruitment really means is allowing your candidates to "engage" with you via their devices - whether they are iPads, Smartphones, iPhone or equivalent.
How you present your brand and how you engage with candidates is key to asserting your value and differentiating yourself from competitors, with this in mind you have to take the rise in mobile use seriously, and with a few simple checks and tweaks you can ensure you are moving with the times.
The continued development of the capabilities of mobile devices has resulted in mobile users managing more and more of their life via devices, and job hunting is just part of this process. In the case of candidates, they now expect to be able to connect, engage, browse and apply for jobs via mobile devices. If your current website, job application process or platforms don't allow this then I can guarantee that you are losing candidates to competitors - it's just a question of how many!
If you really want some proof on this topic then take a look at some of these statistics:
- 51% of the UK population use their mobile phones as their primary internet connections
- In early 2014 mobile internet usage is set to overtake desktop
- 70% of people have already searched for jobs on a mobile device
- 30% of people have also already applied for a job via a mobile device
- 72% of jobseekers want to receive career information via their mobile device
- 84% of jobseekers think job organisations would benefit from mobile friendly sites
- 86% of jobseekers who have smartphones say they would search for jobs with them
So what to do?
Well you need to carry out a few basic checks as if you were a candidate using your mobile device:
- View your website via your mobile device - what happens to the overall look and feel?
- Can you find contact numbers and details?
- Can you search and apply for jobs? How easy is this?
- Does your application process allow for applications without a CV or using Linkedin?
- How does your content look?
If you think any of these processes and prevent your candidates making contact or applying for jobs then you must take action now to:
- Optimise your site for mobile use (not difficult to do, your IT team or web management firm will be able to do this for you)
- Ensure job applications can be made via mobile
- Enable features such as Apply with Linkedin
If you need help or advice please let us know, we work with many firms that can assist with your mobile strategy and would be happy to share their details with you. Having recently gone through this improvement ourselves, we know how easy but valuable this enhancements can be.
For those of you that don't want to take action, go back to your roladex and yellow pages and good luck to you!